IRSEM is welcoming five new members!
IRSEM is very pleased to announce the arrival of the new Research Director, the new Head of International Development and Institutional Relations, as well as three researchers.
- Pr. Julia Grignon, specialist in the Law of Armed Conflict, is now the new Research Director of IRSEM. Associate Professor of the Faculty of Law at Laval University (Canada), Julia Grignon holds a Ph.D from the University of Geneva (Switzerland). Her Ph.D thesis, that was awarded the Paul Reuter and Walther Hug Prizes and published at Schulthess/LGDJ, focused on the Temporal Scope of Applicability of International Humanitarian Law. Specialized in the Law of Armed Conflict, which has been her field of research for the past 15 years she has lead a research project relating to the extraterritorial application of International Human Rights Law in the context of external military operations and a development partnership that aims at promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law. Julia Grignon has taught and supervised student academic work in all the fields of International Law pertaining to the protection of human beings (International Human Rights Law, International Refugee Law, International Criminal Law). She has authored numerous publications in peer-review journals as well as in collective works and edited the book Tribute to Jean-Pictet (Cowansville/Genève: Yvon Blais/Schulthess). She is also one of the co-authors of the Online Casebook How Does Law Protect in war?. In addition to occasional teachings and/or researches as a visiting professor in North America, Europe and Africa, Julia Grignon spent a year of study and research at the Institut des droits de l’homme et de la paix of the University of Cheikh Anta Diop in Dakar (Sénégal). At Laval University, she co-founded and then co-directed the Interdisciplinary Research Centre on Africa and the Middle East and co-directed the International Criminal and Humanitarian Law Clinic. In addition to belonging to several learned societies, she was a member of the IRSEM Scientific Council from 2016 to 2021 and has been a member of the Committee for the Jean-Pictet Competition since 2008.
- Dr. Wendy Ramadan-Alban joined the institute as the new Head of International Development and Institutional Relations. Wendy Ramadan-Alban holds a PHD in political sciences. Her research was supervised within the framework of an international co-supervision between the EHESS (École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales) based in Paris and the University of Namur based in Belgium. She is also graduated with an “advanced level” certificate in Persian language from the Dehkhoda Institute based in Tehran where she studied for one year (2012). In her thesis, she focused on the grand strategy of the Islamic Republic of Iran through the lens of the negotiations relating to the Iranian nuclear programme (2003-2015).
- Captain Béatrice Hainaut joined the institute in September 2022 as a research fellow. She dedicated her research agenda on space issues. During her PhD, she worked on the emergence and promotion of behavioral standards relating to the safety of space activities.
- Victor Violier is a postdoctoral resident at IRSEM. He recently started a new research project relating to the militarized elites in post-Soviet Russia and to the formation of the political consensus that led to military interventions in Georgia, Syria and Ukraine.
- Clément Deshayes is an East Africa research fellow at IRSEM. His current research agenda focuses on the transformation of political institutions that emerge in the aftermath of crisis and major political events (revolution, war, and uprising among others).